other stories
February 1940

my grandfathers story

jan Skrzypczak

In Poland in 1940 (at the age of 20) I attempted to cross the border [that was formed from the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact which split Poland in half between the Nazi west and the Soviet east.] from Lipsk, in Radom county, which was recently annexed by the Soviets, back west to a German occupied area where I lived. I had the unfortunate bad timing to walk smack into the Russian border patrol on my way back home. The reason for my risking such an illegal crossing [From Nazi occupied Poland into Soviet occupied Poland and back] was to visit my uncle, Adam Zima, (who lived in Lipsk) to buy miscellaneous merchandise such a clothes and shoes for a little business that I helped my uncle run. As a result I was held in a detention center near the border in Zareby in Bialystok county for four weeks (February to March), which was really a former monastery. I was then transported to an actual jail for a period of three months. From March to June it was a nightmare because the jail cell was built for one or two individuals, but thirty two prisoners were packed into my cell. Needless to say we were packed in like sardines and slept on bare floors without the conveniences of a bed, but more important of a toilet. In that cell there was only a barrel used for bodily waste deposit, although once a day we were escorted to an actual bathroom to relieve ourselves. Furthermore, three or four times a week we were interrogated by Russian officers from internal security (the Russian initials were NKVD). These officers tried to frighten us poor saps into admitting we were German spies. Usually these interrogations took place late at night as a “torture” mechanism when we were half asleep and most vulnerable due to lowered defenses since we so badly craved sleep. Some eventually broke down and falsely admitted that they were spies for the Germans, while many others like myself, clung to the truth. These officers wanted me to admit (as I’m sure they did to others) that I was Byelorussian (Bialorusin) [The Soviets had been exterminating many hundreds of thousands of residents of modern day Belarus for “counter-revolutionary activity”.], but I patriotically stood firm and told them that I was Polish. When June arrived I was finally sent to Witebysk (or Witebisk) in Byelorussia [Modern day Vitsyebsk, Belarus] for further interrogation, which lasted approximately one month. I, along with others, were sentenced by the NKVD, a kangaroo court, since no judges were in view to past “just” sentences. My “crime” was crossing the border illegally for which I received a mandatory sentence of five years; admitted spies received ten years or more, while some were even shot to death. After the verdict we prisoners were loaded on a freight train consisting of cattle cars (forty people per car). There were two planks which served as a sort of bunk bed, but wood was not comfortable to sleep on. In the door there was a slot to take care of our physical needs. Once a day at the bigger train stations each of us received a small bottle of water, suchary (dried bread/crackers), and dry salted cod fish as nourishment for the whole day. After 27 days of this sort of traveling we arrived at Kotlas, Russia, (in the Republic of Komi county) which served as a distribution point for transfer to river barges. There were about eight hundred people per barge, and four barges were pulled by a steam tug boat. Of course, we had planks on the side of the barges to deposit our waste, and we were led ten at a time from the bottom of the barge (where we imprisoned were put) to the top. Russian soldiers (about twenty per barge) served as “security guards” keeping a careful eye on us. In order to get water, we did so via barrel. This was disgusting because the barrels did not have clean water, but rather, water with human waste in it. After three days and nights we finally arrived in Uhta, Russia (also in the Republic of Komi county). In Uhta, we prisoners were unloaded and subsequently divided into groups of 270. We walked thirty kilometers to a camp, where we had to build our own cabins to sleep in. After we finished building the cabins we had to erect a fence to enclose us like chickens as a precaution against escape. Afterwards we were forced to construct barracks for the officers and soldiers who guarded us. After a week of construction, we prisoners were led into the forest to cut timber. Each person was assigned the task of cutting seven meters by seven meters per day for a combined total of 49 square meters per week with no holidays or weekends off. At the end of the workday our sources of energy consisted of only 700 grams of bread a day [roughly the size of a standard loaf], soup cooked with herring, which was smelly and not very appealing, 100 grams of oats [roughly 389 calories] and wild fruit tea. The barracks we slept in was heated by a barrel stove. One man in each cabin was given the task of cutting wood and keeping the stove burning. However, our nights rest were not as restful since we were swarmed with thousands of bed bugs which resided in the wood and were as bothersome as mosquitos. If that was not bad enough there was a lack of access to soap with which to wash our bodies, and disinfectant. So our clothes and hair were covered with lice. Every day it felt like we were in the armed forces because a bell hanging from a pipe was rung and signaled that we had thirty minutes to get dressed and in formation. We were then led out to the woods which were between eight and ten miles away. Even the guards walked with us since there was no other form of transportation. This went on from October to April [1940-1941]. In April, I became temporarily blind due to the glare of the sunlight [Photokeratitis (snow blindness)]. At night during that period (December-February) the temperature would drop -50 degrees, in later months it would be as low as 10 degrees. This caused the snow to harden like a windowpane and the eyes took a beating. Due to my temporary blindness I was laid up for a week inside the barracks. My eyes were so infected that constant streams of tears were falling down my cheeks. After that first week I was mercifully escorted to a hospital thirty miles away in Uhta, walking there in wet snow. In the hospital Doctor Nina Dobrotrwoskaya , a very good doctor, treated me with eleven injections of some type of medicine into the left eye, since I suppose that one was worse off than the right eye. Soon I began to see well again and the doctor was such a kind and good hearted person that she kept me in a camp near the hospital for outpatient treatment for about a month. I began to work in hospital cutting wood for heating. When the Nazi-Soviet war broke out on June 22, 1941, my five year prison sentence was cut short after just two years. I continued working at the hospital for another six months. After this time I went to a railway station and illegally boarded a freight train and traveled five hundred miles back to Kotlas, where I among others found our way to the foreign Polish ex-prisoners trying to join the Polish army. After a month we were put on a four-wagon cattle train and it took four weeks to get to southern Russia to [modern day] Uzbekistan. There I joined the Polish army. We received English army uniforms and Russian arms and began training in the steppes of Uzbekistan. There we awaited the arrival of Polish general Wladislaw Anders who was trying to take us out of Russia. On the other hand, our Polish general Sikorski arrived in Russia from England attempting to bargain with Stalin for more people to form a bigger army in Russia. Stalin preferred that Poles fight alongside the Russians whereas General Anders insisted that the Poles align themselves with the English and Americans. In August a notice came from General Anders to board a certain boat since we were to cross the Caspian sea to Persia [modern day Iran]. We went to a train station in Huzar, Uzbekistan, offloaded in Krasnivok station and walked four miles to the boat. We landed at the port city of Pahlevi and were then put into quarantine to disinfect and bathe. Later we got new linens and clothes. We slept on the sand under roofs made of reeds that protected us against the suns rays. We lived like this for two weeks. Later we were trucked to the Iraqi city of Kanekin [Kirkuk?]. There, we were issued tents and tropical helmets, and our army training began in earnest. [Sorry but as far as I can tell this is all that exists] From British Army archives: Wounded at San Biagio, battle for Ancona. this has also been posted by myself(his grandson) at http://kresy-siberia.org/won/?page_id=19&letter=S&lang=en&givenName=&familyName=skr&text=&id=153360 W 1940 roku w Polsce (mając 20 lat) próbowałem przekroczyć granicę (która powstała na bazie paktu Ribbentrop-Mołotow, który podzielił Polskę na pół – część zachodnia dla Nazistów, część wschodnia dla Sowietów) z Lipska, w powiecie radomskim, które należało do części sowieckiej, na zachód, do części niemieckiej, w której żyłem. Miałem pecha i trafiłem na rosyjski patrol w drodze do domu. Powodem dla którego ryzykowałem taką nielegalną przeprawę była wizyta u mojego wujka, Adama Zimy (który mieszkał w Lipsku) by kupić różnoraki towar, jak buty czy ubrania, do sklepu który pomagałem wujkowi prowadzić. W efekcie trafiłem do aresztu w dawnym klasztorze w Zarębach, w powiecie białostockim, niedaleko granicy, byłem tam trzymany cztery tygodnie. Potem przewieziono mnie do właściwego więzienia na okres trzech miesięcy. Od marca do czerwca to był koszmar, ponieważ cela była przeznaczona dla jednej, dwóch osób, a w mojej celi było ich trzydzieści dwie. Upakowano nas jak sardynki, spaliśmy na gołej podłodze bez wygód łóżka, ani nawet toalety. Była tylko beczka na odpadki, chociaż raz dziennie eskortowano nas do normalnej łazienki byśmy mogli się wypróżnić. Co więcej, trzy czy cztery razy w tygodniu byliśmy przesłuchiwani przez oficerów rosyjskiej służby bezpieczeństwa (NKWD). Ci oficerowie próbowali nas wystraszyć i wmówić, ze jesteśmy niemieckimi szpiegami. Zazwyczaj te przesłuchania miały miejsce w środku nocy, praktykowano to jako torturę, gdy byliśmy na wpół śpiący i bezbronni z powodu kiepskich warunków snu. Niektórzy się łamali i fałszywie zeznawali, że są niemieckimi szpiegami, ale większość, w tym ja, trzymała się prawdy. Ci oficerowie chcieli, żebym ja (jak i zapewne wielu innych więźniów) zeznał, że jestem Białorusinem (Sowieci mordowali wówczas setki tysięcy Białorusinów za „działalność antyrewolucyjną”), ale ja trzymałem się prawdy i mówiłem, że jestem Polakiem. Gdy nadszedł czerwiec zostałem wysłany do Witebska na Białorusi na dalsze przesłuchania, które trwały około miesiąca. Ja, wraz z innymi, zostałem skazany przez nielegalny sąd NKWD, bo nie było żadnych sędziów do wydania sprawiedliwego wyroku. Moją „zbrodnią” było nielegalne przekroczenie granicy, za co skazano mnie na pięć lat, ci których skazano za „szpiegostwo” dostawali 10 lub więcej, czasem nawet ich rozstrzeliwano. Po wyroku pakowano nas, więźniów, do pociągu towarowego, do wagonów bydlęcych, 40 osób na wagon. Mieliśmy dwie deski, które miały służyć za prycze, ale na drewnie nie dało się spać. W drzwiach było miejsce byśmy mogli zaspokajać swoje potrzeby. Raz dziennie, na większych stacjach kolejowych dostawaliśmy po małej butelce wody, suchary i suszonego, solonego dorsza jako wyżywienie na cały dzień. Po 27 dniach tej “podróży” dotarliśmy do Kotłas w Rosji, w Republice Komi, który był punktem dystrybucji do transferu na barki rzeczne. Było około ośmiuset osób na barce i cztery takie barki ciągnął parowy holownik. Mieliśmy takie deski na burtach tych barek by móc ulżyć potrzebom i prowadzono nas 10 naraz ze spodu barki (gdzie trzymano więźniów) na górę. Rosyjscy żołnierze (około 20 na barkę) pełnili rolę „ochrony” i bacznie nas obserwowali. In order to get water, we did so via barrel. This was disgusting because the barrels did not have clean water, but rather, water with human waste in it. After three days and nights we finally arrived in Uhta, Russia (also in the Republic of Komi county). By dostać wodę, również mieliśmy beczkę. Ale to było obrzydliwe, bo nie było w nich czystej wody, tylko skażona ludzkimi odpadkami. Po trzech dniach i nocach w końcu dotarliśmy do Uchty (również w Republice Komi). W Uchcie nas rozładowano i podzielono na grupy po 270 osób. Szliśmy 30km do obozu, gdzie musieliśmy sami zbudować chaty do spania. Po zakończeniu budowy musieliśmy postawić ogrodzenie, by zamknąć nas jak kurczaki i uniemożliwić ucieczkę. Potem zmuszono nas do budowy baraków dla oficerów i żołnierzy, którzy nas pilnowali. Po tygodniu budowania wysłano nas do lasu na ścinkę drzew. Każdy miał za zadanie ściąć siedem na siedem metrów lasu dziennie, co dawało 49 metrów kwadratowych na tydzień, bez świąt i wolnych weekendów. Na koniec dnia pracy nasze źródło energii składało się z 700 gram pieczywa dziennie (około jednego bochenka), zupy ze śledziem, która śmierdziała i nie wyglądała szczególnie apetycznie, 100 gram owsa (około 389 kalorii) i herbaty z owoców leśnych. Baraki w których spaliśmy ogrzewał piec beczkowy. Jedna osoba była wyznaczana do zadania rąbania drewna i utrzymywania ognia w piecu. Jednak nie dało się dobrze wypocząć, ponieważ roiło się od wszy i leśnych insektów, które były równie męczące co komary. Jakby tego było mało nie mieliśmy mydła i środków dezynfekujących, więc nasze ubrania i włosy były całe we wszach. Każdego dnia czuliśmy się jakbyśmy byli w jednostce wojskowej z powodu dzwonka, który wisiał na rurze i jak zadzwonił, mieliśmy 30 minut na ubranie się i formację. Potem prowadzono nas do lasów oddalonych od ośmiu do dziesięciu mil od obozu. Nawet strażnicy szli piechotą, bo nie było innej formy transportu. Trwało to od października do kwietnia (1940-1941). W kwietniu chwilowo oślepłem od blasku promieni słonecznych odbijających się od śniegu (ślepota śnieżna). Nocami w tym okresie (grudzień – luty) temperatura spadała do minus 50 stopni, w późniejszych miesiącach było to około minus 10. To powodowało, że śnieg zamarzał jak szyba w oknie i oczy nie mogły wytrzymać. Przez tymczasową ślepotę tydzień leżałem w barakach. Moje oczy były tak zainfekowane, że cały czas leciały mi łzy. Po tym pierwszym tygodniu wspaniałomyślnie odprowadzono mnie do szpitala w Uchcie, oddalonej o 30 mil, szedłem przez mokry śnieg. W szpitalu doktor Nina Dobrotrwoskaja, bardzo dobry lekarz, podała mi jedenaście zastrzyków do lewego oka, bo to chyba było w gorszym stanie niż prawe. Wkrótce znów zacząłem dobrze widzieć i pani doktor była na tyle miłą i dobrą osobą, że zatrzymała mnie w obozie dla pacjentów z zewnątrz obok szpitala przez kolejny miesiąc. Zacząłem pracować w szpitalu przy rąbaniu drewna na opał. Gdy wybuchła wojna między Nazistami a Sowietami 22 czerwca 1941, mój pięcioletni wyrok skrócono do dwóch lat. Kontynuowałem pracę w szpitalu przez kolejne sześć miesięcy. Po tym czasie poszedłem na stację kolejową i nielegalnie wsiadłem do pociągu towarowego i przejechałem pięćset mil z powrotem do Kotłasu, gdzie wraz z innymi znaleźliśmy zagranicznych byłych więźniów, Polaków, którzy chcieli dostać się do polskiego wojska. Po miesiącu wsiedliśmy do czterowagonowego pociągu do przewozu bydła i przez cztery tygodnie jechaliśmy do południowej Rosji, do obecnego Uzbekistanu. Tam dołączyłem do Polskiej armii. Dostaliśmy angielskie mundury, rosyjską broń I zaczeliśmy ćwiczenia na stepach Uzbekistanu. Tam czekaliśmy na generała Władysława Andersa, który miał nas zabrać z Rosji. Z drugiej strony generał Sikorski przybył do Rosji z Anglii i próbował zdobyć więcej żołnierzy od Stalina, by uformować większą armię. Stalin wolał, żeby Polacy walczyli u boku Rosjan, a generał Anders wolał by walczyli u boku Anglików i Amerykanów. W sierpniu przyszła informacja od generała Andersa byśmy wsiedli na konkretny statek, żeby przepłynąć przez Morze Kaspijskie do Persji (obecnego Iranu). Poszliśmy na stację kolejową do Huzar w Uzbekistanie, wysiedliśmy w Krasnowodzku i przeszliśmy cztery mile do statku. Wylądowaliśmy w porcie w Pahlevi, gdzie poddano nas kwarantannie, odrobaczono i umyto. Potem dostaliśmy nowe materiały i ubrania. Spaliśmy na piasku pod dachami z trzcin, chroniącymi nas przed słońcem. Żyliśmy tak przez dwa tygodnie. Potem przewieziono nas do irackiego miasta Khanakin (Kirkuk?). Tam dostaliśmy namioty i hełmy tropikalne, a nasze szkolenie na dobre się zaczęło. [niestety to wszytko co się zachowało] Z archiwów Armii Brytyjskiej: Ranny w San Biagio, w bitwie o Ankonę.

comments powered by Disqus